UNT has numerous sources and resources committed to helping cultivate student academic success. Although academic integrity is ultimately the responsibility of the student, differences in disciplinary expectations necessitates that instructors reinforce academic integrity practices. Awareness of available student programs and needed assistance can help students further avoid risk of academic dishonesty. Keep in mind that because of the sad fact that not all students are educated equally, our most “at-risk” students often need extra guidance and mentoring. We have divided these resources into two categories: those for instructors and those for students.
Academic Integrity Resources for Instructors
The following resources provide services to instructors. Utilize these resources not only during the semester, but also during the course design process.
- The UNT Office of Academic Integrity aids faculty and students regarding academic integrity investigations. Initially academic integrity violations are reported to the Dean of Students office with attention to academic integrity.
- The Center for Learning Experimentation, Application, and Research (CLEAR) can assist you in maximizing the potential of technological and pedagogical tools for preventing academic dishonesty.
- Sage Hall Testing Center provides a site for computerized testing for distance, face-to-face, and blended courses. The site is secure and especially useful for high stakes testing.
- Turnitin is a popular plagiarism software supported by the Center for Learning Experimentation, Application, and Research. Not only does Turnitin detect plagiarism, but it also has features that can streamline assessment. To learn more, contact a CLEAR instructional consultant.
- The UNT Library offers a variety of services for instructors and students alike. Subject librarians will come to classes to teach students how to utilize the library system for research.
The following resources provide services to students. We recommend providing a listing of these resources in a syllabus or somewhere in the learning management system. Further, openly discussing with students some of these resources that can help them directly and indirectly with academic integrity.
- Academic advisors do much more than assist students in scheduling courses or planning a program of study. In most departments, they can also direct students to helpful assistance or resources within their college.
- Student Services provide numerous programs, resources, and services for student development and assistance.
- The UNT Counseling & Testing Center provides counseling services to UNT students at no cost. Services include professional counseling, mental-health screenings, educational programs, and self-help resources.
- The UNT Learning Center offers many academic services for students. It is an excellent resource for helping students to develop better study and learning skills that can build their confidence.
Among those particularly relevant to deterring cheating and plagiarism are: tutoring, academic coaching, study skills lab, test taking tips, and help with test anxiety.
- The UNT Library aids with locating resources and proper citation as well as individual research appointments.
- The UNT Office of Disability Accommodation offers services to students with disabilities including assistive technology, sign language interpreters, disability related counseling and advising, and reduced distraction testing rooms.
- The UNT Writing Lab offer tutoring and access to programs for writing, revising, and editing.
- While not a UNT specific resource, online citation guides offer anytime assistance for MLA, APA and Chicago/Turabian style manuals. The Purdue University OWL online writing lab is an important internet bookmark resource for every student. The APA website also has an APA Style Blog that is current and easily searchable.